Celtics vs. Lakers
Not much in the way of sports-related entries here, but it's been a slow week, so here's what's on my mind. I watched part of the NBA Finals game 2 on Sunday, and I plan on watching some of tonight's game (Thursday I was at the Stake center all evening, so I missed game 1), and something interesting happened. You see, I grew up a Jazz fan, as dad and I would go to a few games every season. Even after we moved out East, we were able to see the Jazz periodically--I went to away games in DC, Philly, and NYC. (I also remember a Bullets preseason game in Baltimore, but I don't think it was against Utah.)
But at the time the Jazz were not contenders, so I defaulted to rooting for the Lakers once Utah was eliminated--even though it was often LA that did the eliminating. I liked Magic and Kareem and Worthy, and, more importantly, I disliked Bird and McHale and DJ. So I would root for Showtime and against the Cs.
This year presents a different dilemma. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Purple and Gold, and Boston still reminds me of Bird's faux-'fro, but I find Kobe and Phil Jackson repugnant--always have, always will. The '04 finals were tough for me, because I wanted Karl Malone to get a ring, even with the Lakers, but I could not root for that team.
But it's hard to root for the Celtics, in part because of Carolyn's pseudo-Boston hubby and Beantown's annoying string of athletic successes. If the Patriots had won the Super Bowl, this would be a no-brainer and I'd root for LA. Luckily, they lost in a crushing manner, so the issue remains.
While watching Sunday's game, however, it became clear. as much as I cringe at the thought of another Boston title, I find myself cheering for the Celtics for one reason--Kevin Garnett. He's the kind of player I respect--hard-working, respectful of the game, a good teammate, intense but grounded, loyal to his first team (even when they collapsed around him like a poorly-built bridge). And to see him with a solid team is exciting. So, against my history and my good sense of rooting against the Bay State--Go Celtics!
4 comments:
Very well written Dave. I've faced a very similar conundrum as I hated the Cs during the Showtime days. Now that I've been fully converted to Red Sox Nation it only makes sense that I would support the Cs as well. So go Celtics (when the Jazz aren't involved).
It's kind of frustrating to see the Jazz have a pretty good team year after year and just not be able to make it. Maybe once the big soccer stadium is built we'll become Real Fans. Or, maybe, someday, we can move to somewhere with a baseball team.
Before we got married I made it clear that we would be a Jazz family above all else. I didn't go over which baseball team we'd root for because I took it for granted that everyone who ever really mattered in my life had been Baltimore fans. If only I could redo the prenup. In this one I'm rooting for the celtics because I live closer to Boston, of course, but also because they play like a team. And their court has a prettier floor.
I commend you on picking the team that not only doesn't have Kobe, but also has fashion sense. Seems like a no brainer
-Jon E
Post a Comment