Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Beautiful Day

No, this isn't about Stew's least favorite U2 song. It's about springtime in Albuquerque. Today was such a day--warm, but not too hot (we still don't have the swamp cooler turned on, and we're surviving--as Summer reminds me, she's not pregnant this year), gorgeous blue sky. So today after church and naps (Evan and I both snoozed--Summer claims we both snoozed during church too, but I was just listening carefully--I do that better with my eyes closed), we made a quick trip to the temple grounds. Here the kids display unbridled enthusiasm for the visit (actually, the boys are unhappy about having to sit still for 10 seconds to take a picture, but they're still cute):
As we strolled, Summer decided to put Evan on her shoulders, which is typically my thing. Not bad, though, for a girl:
And here are two pictures of the temple itself. First, looking up at the spire on the east face:
And second, toward the front door from the fountain near the parking lot (courtesy of Summer):
The ABQ temple is small, but not the size of the year-2000-era minis. But still the smallest temple I have ever been in. It's very cozy and comfortable in terms of size and decor. And it took us 22 minutes to drive from our house across town to the temple grounds. Admittedly, that commute is longer during the week with traffic, but certainly not 2.5 hours from the farmhouse to DC, as per my teen years. One of the 10 best things about living in ABQ.

Finally, here the crew poses by the fountain:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! Your memory is beginning to show your age -- I used to drive from the DC temple to the New Park house (farther than the farmhouse) after working my Wed shift. It only took 2.5 hours if we stopped to eat.

pinky said...

I love the impudent look on Isaac's face! It made me chuckle. Ryan's look is a little milder and Allyson is her usual happy self. But Isaac...that's a keeper. When he gets a little older and can weather things a little more diplomatically (Let's see...I'm 60 something and still struggling with weathering things) show him this picture. It'll make him chuckle.

Jon and Chelle said...

I'd say the drive from the house to the DC temple was about the length of a good nap. If we stopped for dinner, it was the length of a great nap.