Are You Ready For Some Ruckus?
In our family we like order. We put the dishes away after we unload the dishwasher, we keep the kids' toys in specific bins, and the bookcases in the living room are arranged by genre. (When I was about 8, I grew weary of my parents and sisters not keeping the encyclopedias in order, so I created a check-out system to encourage responsible reading. I was an early-blooming dork.) But from a dark recess in the id comes the human desire for chaos. Thus, we decided to have children.
This is meant as a preface for what we took on this past Thursday, but the story begins about a year ago. Pat started giving the kids these fun card games for their birthdays—Moose in the House, Frog Juice, and Duck Duck Bruce. Then, a few weeks ago, Summer took Allyson to our favorite local toy store (Out of the Blue) to buy a birthday present for a friend. There they also bought a new card game for our family—Ruckus. It's a horribly fun game, and it lives up to its name quite well.
But, since we have a toddler in the house, we can't play this (or any other game, really) unless he's napping or otherwise occupied (that is, eating). However, at times, we give in and let the little guy get his hands on the cards. Thus, we get a scene such as this:
That's right, he's making a ruckus with the Ruckus cards.
That was Wednesday. On Thursday Summer decided to move the baby from the crib to the toddler bed. I came home that afternoon to find her cleaning the bed in the living room. Soon afterwards, we were engaged in moving it to the boys' bedroom. In doing so, we had to rearrange the room because...well, that's what we do. So we moved the beds around and did the following:
Not quite a ruckus, but it certainly disrupts our little world...
2 comments:
Stewart puts a lot of effort into shelving our books in various ways. When he makes me mad I take a book from one shelf, remove the dust jacket and replace it with another book. If the day comes when I get really upset my plan is dog-ear some pages. Muwahaha.
Evan has a looks like he could get into alot of mischief. Ben has his own set of go fish cards that he carries around for half the day, maybe they should get together for a card game.
Post a Comment