Monday, April 20, 2009

"Two Trucks"

Ever since Evan was a newborn, I've counted while getting him dressed. I'll button his onsie and count each snap--"One, two, three." (I figure all the other numbers are unnecessary and confusing.)

As a quick aside, I think Allyson and Ryan are good at math because when they were little we lived in apartment complexes with stairs, and we would count as we went up and down. By 20 months Allyson could count to 11 (the number of stairs to the ground floor). Isaac and Evan are cursed to live in a one-story and therefore not have the same educational opportunities as their older siblings. End of digression...

Evan quickly learned then that "one" follows "two," although his interest in "three" has been nonexistent. But he has a solid grasp, at least, on the concept of more than one.

This has recently become very amusing. When I hold the little guy, he will point to my hair and say "hair," my nose and say "nose," and my ear and say "ear." But on Friday he did the latter, followed by, "two ears." He now points out anything that he sees more than one of--two balls on his pajama shirt, two trucks in the parking lot, two books, etc.

So on Sunday I was in the kitchen eating a few cookies that I had made the day before. Evan bummed a few bites off me and then fussed when I cut him off. I asked if he wanted another cookie, and he looked up expectantly and said, "two cookie." Summer and I burst into laughter as his chutzpah.

1 comment:

Bill said...

"Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."