Sunday, November 9, 2008

Word of the Month

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: my wife is an immensely creative person. A year or two ago she decided to take 12" wooden letters from a craft store, decorate them (there's some technical crafty lingo for what she did--it involves a glue that smells like death and fancy paper) and display them atop the piano. She did "NOEL" for the xmas season, and it looked great.

She then decided to do a different word for each month of the year. (This may be a gift for family some year, so act surprised.) January is SNOW, February is LOVE, March is LUCK, April is RAIN, May is MOM, June is DAD, July is FREE, August is SUN, September is HOME, October is BOO, and November is:
I like how this emphasizes the heart of the upcoming holiday--not just being thankful, but giving thanks. As this is the topic for my talk next week, I have been thinking about how we give thanks, and I think it is quite simply through giving. When we share with others we demonstrate how much we acknowledge and appreciate the blessings we enjoy.

On the other hand, withholding blessings from others is ultimately an act of cowardice, as we demonstrate our fear that Providence might not support us if we give to others. The fast offering given when one's checkbook is tenuous, the act of service given by the sleep-deprived parent, the kind word from the lonely to someone who needs kindness--these things show faith that giving will not deplete, but rather replenish.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for this post. Interesting perspective. Definitely something I needed to hear (or read).

Sara said...

Summer, can you teach me that? I love the idea and the technique, I haven't yet learned.