Thursday, August 30, 2007

My New Gig

Those of you who have received an email from me this week may have noticed the new signature line:
Roy Turner
Director of Instruction, Interim
English/ESL
Central New Mexico Community College

Here's the story. About 3 weeks ago I interviewed for an administrative post at CNM, one I was underqualified for and for which I had applied mainly to demonstrate that I am interested in administrative work here. The interview was a good experience, but I walked away knowing I would be teaching this fall, not administrating.

A week later my boss called to ask if I would serve as Director of Instruction. She said the hiring team thought I would make a good administrator, but lacked experience. She explained that the person they were hiring would open up a Director's post, and this would give me the kind of experience needed for administration.

The job is interesting. I work with faculty in English, ESL, and adult education reading and writing courses. This involves scheduling part-time faculty, reviewing syllabi, and observing new faculty. There's a fair amount of paper-pushing and tedium, but some great opportunities to interact with and support faculty.

The weirdest thing about this job is the schedule. for the first time in my life I have a 40 hours/week job. And for the first time in 7 years i am not teaching this semester. It's odd.

Anyhow, I will keep you updated on how the job is going. If I like it and I'm good at it I may apply for the permanent position for the spring.

No comments: