Planning Ahead--August 2009
Now that I am on break, it's time to start planning for next year's trips and events. A future entry will lay out some of our possible family trips for 2009, but this entry--of real interest only to the Turner side of the family--focuses on one specific event next year: Ryan's baptism.
As we discussed over Thanksgiving, we are looking at the second Saturday in August, which comes right at the end of my summer term (and, thus, the start of my August break). The kids start school the following week (8/13, I believe), and, since Isaac is starting kindergarten, we can't take a long trip. But, given that everybody will be in town, it would be nice to do something fun.
Here are some ideas. Please comment or email me to share your thoughts. I know, for example, that Carolyn has sworn off tents, but I suggest that camping may be a lot of fun for the money.
Mesa Verde National Park, near Durango. There are some beautiful Ancestral Pueblo ruins and lots of great hikes. The elevation means August is comfortable, and it's only about 4 hours from ABQ (in case Dad or the Forbes would be flying in and out of the Sunport). We could stay in the NPS lodging in the park (expensive, but convenient), camp in the park (we have an extra tent for anyone flying in), or in a cabin/lodge in the Durango area (see some that I found here). If we stay in Durango, we can also do fun stuff there, such as the Durango/Silverton Railroad.
The next option is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, in west-central Colorado. Again, high elevation makes for comfortable weather, and there are lots of hiking trails and beautiful scenery. You lose the lodging options of Durango (just camping, really), and the location of the park facilities at the canyon's edge makes me a bit wary as a father.
One last option to consider is Great Sand Dunes National Park, in south-central Colorado. Home to the largest sand dunes in North America, the park also offers mountains hiking and a nearby buffalo ranch. The in-park camping is nice, and there are some nearby lodging options. The real drawback here is location; it's a good 4-5 hours from ABQ, and in the wrong direction (our UT visitors would have a longer trip back from GSDNP than the other options).
4 comments:
I like the idea of Mesa Verde just because we have passed by that so many times with the intent of stopping some time.
On another note, Dad and I have talked about having family photos taken that weekend, so everyone plan on being there and make sure you bring your spouse.
Do we want casual or formal dress?
I think Mesa Verde looks the coolest. I will work on finding Jon a new job, one that allows him to take time off in the summer months. If that doesn't work, I will resort to plan b, which means I bring my dog instead.
Great. Should we camp or lodge?
I also like the ideal of Mesa Verde although it loks like that decision has already been made. How many days are we looking at? If it is only a few I am up for camping. I also want to do the train ride in Durango.
Post a Comment