Friday, February 8, 2008

Books and Their Covers

Here's a quick experience that I found insightful. On Wednesday, I took a sick day to let Summer rest and get over her cold. As part of my day, Isaac and I went to the library and then lunch. As we sat at Burger King, a group of young guys (early to mid 20s) sat down next to us. They were a rough-looking group, and their conversation seemed to be getting a bit tough. I was getting a bit concerned that Isaac might leave the premises having learned some new words and that I would then get in trouble when he showed off his new vocabulary at the dinner table.

But after a minute or so, I realized that I wasn't hearing, "yo mama," but "Obama." And as the loudest member of the group opened the newspaper to the results from Super Tuesday, it soon became clear that they were analyzing the presidential race. As it turned out that their insights were quite interesting, and I found myself silently nodding along with their thoughts.

This expereince said several thingsa to me. First, I was again reminded of the impossible and unethical nature of making assumptions based on appearance. And it indicates in some way how engaged the electorate is this year, expecially young voters who often do not participate in the political process. Not a bad lesson to get from a lunch at Burger King.

2 comments:

Wife of dastew said...

Kids these days, talking their politics at the local BK. Back in my day...

Jon and Chelle said...

Interesting you should blog about this...this is the first presidential race that I've found myself constantly researching candidates on millions of different websites (though 4 years ago Jon and I did watch a lot of the debates but I was much more concerned about making sure he became my husband...). Does this mean that I'm old and the topics at hand are finally more important than anything else in my life (I doubt that since there are plenty of things going on in my life at the present time), so what makes this year so different I wonder? Who knows, but it sure has captured my interest! And, just last week I went to lunch with some old roomates and that was the topic of discussion, much like your friends at BK!