Rio Grande Nature Center
This past Saturday, the older boys and I took a quick trip to the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park, an oasis in the bosque of the Rio Grande north of downtown. The fall at the Nature Center is a wonderful season is wonderful--the leaves change, the air is crisp, and migratory waterfowl are plentiful.
Our hike began at the parking lot, where a duck blind overlooks a wetlands area. Here the boys watch the ducks and geese:
Recent renovations to the park include some decorations on the blind itself, focusing on the ecology of the area. Here the boys pose before some of the displays:
We then set off for the hike to the river's edge. Near the visitors center, the boys stopped at the amp to get their bearings (they then went the wrong way, so there's some navigational work to do with the boys...):
After hiking to the Rio Grande, we paused to see the sights. and, if you're wondering what to get Isaac for Christmas, he likes sticks and mud:
And, after walking back and strolling around the visitors center, we stopped outside to snack. While we ate, a roadrunner wandered over. I took a few pictures of him a few feet away (this one is at a distance of about 7 feet). After I put the camera down, he strutted over, hopped on our bench, intimidated Isaac (the bird was about 18" away from him), and hopped back down.
3 comments:
The question is: Does Isaac's parents like him to like sticks and mud?
Hey we can do sticks and mud. We've got plenty of both. Of course east coast sticks and mud are far superior.....(this is where I'd normally include a rant about the superiority of the east over the west but you've heard it all before so I'll spare you.)
I noted how expertly you got the shot of the roadrunner. Note how he blends with the background colors, but the board seems strategically placed in the background so you can easily see his head and beak. Outstanding! My take on 'sticks and boys' is that they go together...always have, always will. The mud is dirt cheap and pure fun!
Pinky
Post a Comment