Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Car--NOT A VAN

In response to Carolyn's comment, as well as something Dad insisted on a while back, I believe it is time to discuss the new car. With Turner child #4 due this summer, we have finally outgrown the Elantra. We researched a number of options, and finally decided we liked the Kia Rondo, a crossover vehicle. Essentially, a crossover blends a sedan and an SUV, getting interior space similar to midsized SUVs with the handling and fuel efficiency of a sedan. The vehicle is built on a car chassis, not a truck chassis, like an SUV is. In essence, a crossover is simply a station wagon, but less boxy and a bit higher up off the ground.

The Rondo seats 7 with a 2-seat 3rd row option. From the front, it looks a lot like a mid-sized car, and from the back it looks like a minivan. But, for emphasis, IT IS NOT A VAN. It's a good two feet shorter than most vans, and much less wide. One Sunday, I looked at the church parking lot and felt like I was surrounded by rhinoceroses, and I have always felt that a minivan drives like a tank. The Rondo drives a lot like the Elantra. And on road trips we get 30-40 miles/gallon.

It's been a month since we bought the car. We've used it for two camping trips, a 300-mile day trip, grocery shopping, and carrying up to 7 children at a time (Summer babysat 4 kids under the age of 8 one day during the kids' Spring Break, and she carted them all around in the Rondo), and it's been amazingly versatile. Not to sound like a Kia promo, but it's the perfect car for us. It's big inside but small out, it gets great mileage, and it's horribly cute.

Anyhow, check out the photo below and tell me--I dare you--that this is a van. Notice, if you will, the real van in the background; this is a good 2 feet longer than the Rondo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks so...van-ish. Just kidding. I have to say that I expected worse. We're thinking of getting a mini.

Roy said...

I suppose you mean a mini cooper, right?

dastew said...

Of course a Mini Cooper...and as soon as we buy it we'll have quintplets because that's how these things work.